Getting Started for Users
Downloading and Installing Sirikata
To run Sirikata, including the graphical client, you'll need to install two additional packages:
With these installed, simply download the latest package. Unzip it anywhere on your computer. You should then have directories that look like this:
* sirikata_win32/ * bin/ * include/ * lib/ * share/
Go into sirikata_win32/bin/ and run space.exe, then cppoh.exe. space.exe starts a space locally. It is private and will only use the objects you start. cppoh.exe is the client. By default, it loads up a few objects as well as your avatar. If everything worked, you should see a window pop up and start displaying the world.
Mac OS X
Download the latest package. Unzip it anywhere on your computer. You should then have directories that look like this:
* sirikata_mac/ * Frameworks/ * bin/ * include/ * lib/ * share/
Go into sirikata_mac/bin/ and run space, then cppoh.app. space starts a space locally. It is private and will only use the objects you start. cppoh.app is the client. By default, it loads up a few objects as well as your avatar. If everything worked, you should see a window pop up and start displaying the world.
To run cppoh.app from the command line and add parameters, run it as
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib ./cppoh.app/Contents/MacOS/cppoh [--option=value]
The setting for DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is required for it to find the libraries that are installed alongside it because they aren't installed to system directories that are already in the search path. If you install to one of those directories (e.g. /usr/), then that setting will not be necessary.
See the Keybindings page for information about how to control your object.
When you first start the client, a window will pop up with the Ogre logo asking for some settings. Usually you only need to change two settings: from the top drop down, select 'OpenGL Renderer' and in the resulting option list chnage 'Fullscreen' to off. OpenGL is the more reliable default, but you may also try the Direct3D renderer (see 'Troubleshooting' below for more details).
Connecting to a Different Sirikata World
- I'm getting the message 'This application has failed to start because d3dx9_42.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.'
- You need to install the DirectX End-User Runtime. Make sure you've followed the instructions above.
- Nothing is showing up.
- Give it a minute or two on the first run. The default scene isn't small and the meshes need to be downloaded. On future runs, the content will be loaded from your local disk if possible, making it start up much more quickly. If, after a few minutes, still nothing shows up, get in touch with the developers as described below.
- I'm getting a message that I don't have permissions to access a file when I try to run the space server.
- Chances are you unzipped the sirikata package using Cygwin, which doesn't handle file permissions properly. Try unzipping using Windows' standard utilities.
- The settings I chose for Ogre don't work and it doesn't pop up the configuration screen anymore.
- In the sirikata_win32/bin/ directory, delete the file ogre.cfg. The next time you run, the configuration will pop up again.
- I'm having another problem not covered here.
- Get in touch with the developers on the developer mailing list or via IRC (#sirikata on irc.freenode.net).