Getting Started for Users
Downloading and Installing Sirikata
Currently, we only have packaged builds for Windows. OS X and Linux users should check out and build the code themselves. This process is scripted, so it should be simple even though it takes a long time.
To run Sirikata, including the graphical client, you'll need to install two additional packages:
With these installed, simply download the latest package. Unzip it anywhere on your computer. You should then have directories that look like this:
* sirikata_win32/ * bin/ * include/ * lib/ * share/
Go into sirikata_win32/bin/ and run space.exe, then cppoh.exe. space.exe starts a space locally. It is private and will only use the objects you start. cppoh.exe is the client. By default, it loads up a few objects as well as your avatar. If everything worked, you should see a window pop up and start displaying the world.
See the Keybindings page for information about how to control your object.
When you first start the client, a window will pop up with the Ogre logo asking for some settings. Usually you only need to change two settings: from the top drop down, select 'OpenGL Renderer' and in the resulting option list chnage 'Fullscreen' to off. OpenGL is the more reliable default, but you may also try the Direct3D renderer (see 'Troubleshooting' below for more details).
Connecting to a Different Sirikata World
- I'm getting the message 'This application has failed to start because d3dx9_42.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.'
- You need to install the DirectX End-User Runtime. Make sure you've followed the instructions above.
- Nothing is showing up.
- Give it a minute or two on the first run. The default scene isn't small and the meshes need to be downloaded. On future runs, the content will be loaded from your local disk if possible, making it start up much more quickly. If, after a few minutes, still nothing shows up, get in touch with the developers as described below.
- The settings I chose for Ogre don't work and it doesn't pop up the configuration screen anymore.
- In the sirikata_win32/bin/ directory, delete the file ogre.cfg. The next time you run, the configuration will pop up again.
- I'm having another problem not covered here.
- Get in touch with the developers on the developer mailing list or via IRC (#sirikata on irc.freenode.net).